We are no longer accepting New Patient Applications.
Preparing for Your first appointment
- Please review the general information on this website.
- Bring your medications and a brief summary of your medical history if possible.
- Bring your health card.
- If your old records are available from your previous family physician, you may bring them along as well.
Expectation for your first appointment
- Your first appointment is a “meet and greet”, it will typically involve a discussion between yourself and a physician regarding your health, and ultimately to decide if you and the physician is a good fit.
Family medicine is a process by which patients register their care with a family physician. At our clinic, rostering is a process by which you connect in an ongoing relationship with a family physician as your "primary care provider".
- Most patients sign a roster enrolment form soon after connecting with their family physician. After the roster form is signed, the family physician notifies the Ministry of Health that this patient is his/her patient. Being a rostered patient comes with both benefits and responsibilities.
Uninsured Services and Annual Fees
As many of you may already know, OHIP does not pay for all services that you request from your doctor. These are called “non-insured or uninsured services” and it is illegal and fraudulent for doctors to bill OHIP for them. In order to maintain the financial viability of our practice and ensure prompt service, it is necessary for our practice to charge for these services.
The Port Arthur Health Centre is compliant with The Ontario Personal Health Protection Act. Our electronic record system is protected against loss of data and unauthorized access.
Contact information and OHIP
Please kindly inform the office if your contact information has changed. Also, please make sure your health card has not expired. Please note, red and white health card is no longer valid. If you have a red and white health card, please begin the process of updating your health card.
- Patients are seen by appointment only, or at the walk in clinic once you are rostered with a family physician.
- Appointments can be made via online booking or telephone.
- When you schedule an appointment, it is reserved specifically for you.
- Appointment cancellation must be within 24 hours in advance of your scheduled appointment.
- Missed appointment will be billed to the patient, if it is not cancelled 24 hours prior.
- When coming into to the clinic for a specialist’s appointment, please be aware that waiting period may vary depending on individual patient needs.
- Medications should be administered as prescribed for best results.
- If you suspect a mix up in your prescription or a reaction to a drug, please notify us immediately.
- Patients are encouraged to keep all prescriptions with one pharmacy.
- Since prescription renewals outside of office visits are not covered by OHIP, there is a fee per faxed renewal request.
- First, please double-check that your prescription does not have any refills remaining. If there are refills, you do not need a prescription renewal.
Medical Students and Allied Health Care Professionals
- Occasionally, there will be trainees working along with our physicians.
- We appreciate the opportunity to contribute to the training and development of future doctors and allied health care professionals.
- Although it is within your rights to request the trainee not take part in your care, we ask kindly that you support this arrangement by considering the students as part of the treatment team.